In order to ensure the success of our children, Cardinal Hickey Academy expects parents to volunteer 20 hours each school year. Volunteering opportunities are abundant both in the school building and out. To find an opportunity, contact a member of the HSA or your Room Parent. Chaperoning field trips does not count toward your volunteer hours. Ours are currently tracked at the front desk.
It is a requirement of the Child Protection Policy of the Archdiocese of Washington that “all volunteers who have substantial contact with children” (including, but not limited to, chaperoning field trips, working in classrooms or Media Center, monitoring the playground, etc.) complete the steps below in order to be in full compliance with the policy. Please call the school office at 410-286-0404 if you have any questions.
- Register online at http://www.virtusonline.org/. For organization, select Washington DC (Archdiocese). Designate yourself as a volunteer at Cardinal Hickey Academy.
- Select a Virtus training session to attend. Be prepared for a 2-3 hour training session.
- Complete the Volunteer Application Form and return it to the office.
- Call to schedule an appointment for a background check. Steps above must be completed before scheduling appointment.
- Bring the following documents to background check:
- Check or money order for $18.50 payable to Cardinal Hickey Academy
- Two forms of Valid Identification (State issued); one MUST be a photo ID
- Read the Child Protection Policy Booklet which is provided at training. Sign the last page in the booklet and return it to the office.
Lunch/Recess Volunteer Responsibilities
K – 5 Lunch 11:20-11:50 Recess 11:50-12:10
6 – 8 Recess 11:30-11:50 Lunch 11:50-12:10
Sign in the office under Volunteer on Keep N Track
- Sort milk for each class
- Help with distribution of hot lunch as needed
- K-5 should have two lines for faster delivery (K-1-2 and 3-4-5)
- Walk around the tables during lunch assisting students
- Collect trash
- Assist with washing tables until all tables in the Center are clean
- Students should not use spray bottles – only adults
- K-5 – Walk students out to recess – no running
- Observe all students during recess – limit conversations that may distract you
- Gently correct behavior that seems too rough or inappropriate – Inform the teacher on duty
- K-2 – Help collect equipment when recess is over
- Lead students back to school building when recess is over
Upon receipt of all documentation, training and positive results from the background check, you will receive an email that you are cleared to volunteer. You will receive a badge when checking into the front office with a yellow sticker.
The following information is available for download via the Rediker Parent Portal.
ADW Field Trip Waiver for Volunteers
CHA Volunteer Handbook
Christian Service Project Report