Accreditation & Affiliations
- AdvanceED – Cardinal Hickey Academy has received Accreditation from AdvancED. CHA has met the requirements established by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission and Board of Trustees and is thereby accredited.
- Archdiocese of Washington Catholic School Academic Standards – We are in complete compliance with the Archdiocese of Washington Catholic Schools Academic Standards for our entire academic curriculum. These standards reflect the moral and spiritual code of conduct that is rooted in the Gospel values – values that inspire leadership, stimulate creativity, and utilize each child’s individual talents. Please visit their website for more information at: http://www.adw.org/.
- National Catholic Education Association – located at 1077 30th Street, NW, Suite 100 , Washington, D.C. 20007. This association “provides leadership, direction, and service to fulfill the evangelizing catechizing and teaching mission of the church”. Please visit their website for more information at: http://www.ncea.org.
- National Blue Ribbon School – The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program is a United States government program created in 1982 to honor schools which have achieved high levels of performance. “Exemplary High Performing” schools have their state’s highest high school graduation rates and the highest achieving students (the top 15%) in English and mathematics, measured by state assessments. Only about 8% of schools earn this prestigious award. CHA earned the award in 2015 and will be eligible to apply again in 2020.
- Maryland Department of Education –CHA is fully approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. This approval is based upon the inspection of our facilities, the quality of our program, and certification of our teachers.
93-100 A or E (xcellent)
85- 92 B or G (ood)
77- 84 C or S (atisfactory)
70- 76 D or I (mprovement Needed)
0 – 69 F or U (nsatisfactory)
Students at Cardinal Hickey Academy are offered classes in two ways- Core Subjects on a daily basis and Special Subjects on a weekly basis. By offering this mixed curriculum, we are better able to engage young learners in a manner they find most comfortable, ensuring each student receives the maximum benefit from their time at CHA.
- Language Arts – Reading, Literature, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary, Creative Writing, Penmanship
- Mathematics – 7th grade Pre-Algebra, 8th grade Algebra
- Science – STEM, Science Lab
- Social Studies
- Spanish (PreK-8)
- Study Skills (4-8)
- Physical Education (K-8)
- Music – handbells, band, choral concerts and spring musical
- Library Skills/Media Center
- Technology – State of the art Computer Lab includes Senteo Clickers for student response, school-wide internet access, Chromebooks and SMART Boards in the classrooms
Our curriculum contains educational framework designed to develop 21st century skills. All curriculum standards reflect a continuum of learning from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade. We continuously update curriculum documents to ensure they are academically challenging and developmentally appropriate to encourage and nurture life-long learners. – ADW Catholic Schools